You’ve asked and we delivered! A regular request that we’ve heard from our customers has been “When will you be offering a traditional trek program?”, well this is it! 2017 will be the PILOT year for our New River Trek program, groups can begin signing up today for our remaining weeks of the 2017 season.
This is a 50-mile paddle trip on the New River. You will navigate the upper portion of the river in inflatable kayaks (one or two-man) called “duckies”. This portion of the river includes Class I to III rapids. The final whitewater day in the Lower Canyon is a rafting experience and includes Class III to V rapids. Crews camp along the river through the New River Gorge. A gear boat (raft) accompanies the group to transport gear and food. Please note that in exceptionally high water, the entire trip may be conducted in rafts.
Here is a sample 50-Miler itinerary
- Day 1 – Arrival/ Shakedown/Camp @ Christen HAB Base Camp.
- Day 2 – Portage Day. Put in at Helem’s Beach. Portage Sandstone Falls. Camp @ Meadow Creek. (10 mi)
- Day 3 – Ironman Day. Paddle Meadow Creek to Criddle Beach. (17 mi)
- Day 4 – Waterfall Day. Paddle Criddle to Dowdy Creek. Hike Dowdy Waterfall. Paddle Dowdy Creek to Stone Cliff. (9 mi)
- Day 5 – Service Day. Paddle to Dun Glen. Service Project and Tour of Thurmond Ghost Town. Paddle to Cunard and camp @ River Run Park. (8 mi)
- Day 6 – Whitewater Day. Raft from Cunard to Teay’s Landing. Return to Christen HAB Base Camp (8 mi)
- Day 7 – Departure Day
To get more information check out our webpage here – http://www.summitbsa.org/trek
We invite you to come enjoy a river voyage through the historically, culturally, ecologically significant New River Gorge. Paddle, camp, fish, and enjoy all that it has to offer to the next generation of rugged individuals willing to match their mettle against one of the world’s rugged natural wonders.