Want a job where your office is 10,000 acres of Appalachian hardwood forest? Of course you do.
***2015 Employment opportunities are no longer available; we will begin accepting applications for 2016 in the Fall of 2015. If you would like to be notified when applications are available for submission, please email your contact information (Name and Email address) to Summit.SeasonalStaff@scouting.org. ***
The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve is a 10,600 acre facility in Southern West Virginia operated by the Boy Scouts of America. It is a training, Scouting, and adventure center for millions of youth and adults involved in Scouting. The 2015 programs at the Summit Bechtel Reserve (SBR) are all about challenging Scouts and Venturers. Whether earning merit badges, problem-solving on the challenge course, or working toward an AMGA instructor certification, those willing to test their mettle will come away changed for the better.
The SBR’s programs are organized around its three major program components:
- Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base
- James C. Justice National Scout Camp
- SBR National Training Center
Each program component provides a different level of challenge while putting physical endurance to the test. The most challenging of these programs are those at the Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base. With activities centered in the SBR’s exciting Adventure Zone; high adventure at SBR will challenge the hardiest Scouts and Venturers with world class zip lines, canopy tours, skate parks, BMX tracks, mountain bike trails and more.
Centered in the Summit Center in the heart of SBR, the James C. Justice National Scout Camp programs provide experienced Scouts and Venturers an opportunity to further their advancement through challenge centered programs related to the Summit Bechtel Reserve’s unique program venues. The grand opening of the James C. Justice Scout Camp will kick off in 2015.
Complementing the longstanding National BSA training opportunities provided at the Philmont Scout Ranch, the SBR National Training Center will provide training opportunities to Scouts and Venturers from across the country. Although the official opening will be in 2016, The Summit National Training Center will offer some specialized leadership training and educational opportunities in 2015.
PLEASE NOTE: These are paid seasonal positions.
Basic qualifications for employment at The Summit Bechtel Reserve:
- You must be at least 18 years old; for some positions, 21 years old.
- You do not have to be a current member of the Boy Scouts of America to apply for an employment opportunity, however, if offered a position you will be required to become a member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- You must legally be able to work in the United States.
- You must agree to submit to a criminal background check.
- You must successfully complete in advance of arrival an annual medical exam that demonstrates minimum physical capabilities commensurate with the desired position. Please note that some positions have physical requirements, including weight limitations.
How to Apply for Seasonal Employment
- Complete the online application.
- Be sure to provide a current email address and phone number where you may be contacted.
- If desired, upload a resume. This is recommended, especially for management or supervisory positions.
- Be sure to provide the email address of someone who can provide an employment reference. An email will be sent to the individual asking them to complete a reference for you.
***NOTE: Please be sure to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to access the job application site. Other browsers, especially Internet Explorer, may not be compatible with this system.***
What to Expect Next
- Completed applications (with reference) will be reviewed by Summit Management.
- Telephone interviews will be scheduled.
- Verbal employment offers will be made to selected candidates.
- Formal employment offers with required paperwork will be emailed to selected candidates.
- Completed employment forms must be mailed to The Summit in advance of your first day of employment and as soon as possible after employment acceptance.
*Please note that seasonal management and supervisory positions will be hired first; remaining positions will be subsequently filled.
Dates of Operation
Programs operate from early June through mid-August. For most staff positions, employees will report in mid-May for orientation and training.
The Summit provides 12×10 tents with very comfortable cots for employees who choose to live onsite. Employees may live offsite, but the Summit does not provide any housing allowance beyond your basic salary.
Employees may eat breakfast and dinner in the dining facility. Shelf stable lunches will be issued to staff and participants each day.
Employment questions may be sent to email@example.com or call 304-465-2800.
Professional Positions with the Boy Scouts of America
If, instead of Seasonal Employment opportunities, you are interested in exploring other employment opportunities with the Boy Scouts of America, please visit the BSA’s corporate job site at Scouting.org to view current availability.