The Summit Bechtel Reserve Seasonal Employment Information
Now Accepting Applications
for 2016 Seasonal Staff!
The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve is a 10,600 acre facility in Southern West Virginia operated by the Boy Scouts of America. The programs at the Summit Bechtel Reserve (SBR) are all about challenging Scouts and Venturers. The Summit is home to the Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base, The James C. Justice National Scout Camp and the John D. Tickle National Training & Leadership Center – three distinct operations but all through which participants will be exposed to a set of core values important to The Summit, Scouting and Life:
Adventure – We encourage Scouts to challenge themselves through exciting adventure sports, wilderness survival, and outdoor exploration.
Service – Through meaningful projects, we teach Scouts the fulfillment that comes with helping others.
Sustainability – With experiential learning, we develop scouts into stewards of the world we live in and be mindful of their economic, social, and environmental impacts.
Leadership – Through training, challenges, and empowerment, we help scouts excel at taking command of their lives and setting an example for others.
The Summit encourages participants to grow in competence, confidence and awareness by providing experiences that require participants to move out of their comfort zones and “stretch” themselves.
We need 200+ enthusiastic, customer-focused individuals to staff this amazing venue! Be a part of something big – we need your help to give our campers the best summer of their lives!
The Summit is currently seeking staff to operate and support its summer seasonal programs. Positions are varied and include everything from managers and operators of each of the adventure sports venues, to Scout Camp Commissioners, to administrative support, logistics and maintenance.
Each program component provides a different level of challenge while putting physical endurance to the test. The most challenging of these programs are those at the Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base. With activities centered in the SBR’s exciting Adventure Zone; high adventure at SBR will challenge the hardiest Scouts and Venturers with world class zip lines, canopy tours, skate parks, BMX tracks, mountain bike trails and more.
Centered in the Summit Center in the heart of SBR, the James C. Justice National Scout Camp programs provide experienced Scouts and Venturers an opportunity to further their advancement through challenge centered programs related to the Summit Bechtel Reserve’s unique program venues.
The John D. Tickle National Training & Leadership Center has its official opening in 2016 and will provide unique and specialized training opportunities to Scouts, Venturers and adult leaders from across the country.
Basic qualifications for employment at
The Summit Bechtel Reserve:
- You must be at least 18 years old; for some positions, 21 years old.
- You do not have to be a current member of the Boy Scouts of America to apply for an employment opportunity, however, if offered a position you will be required to become an adult member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- You must legally be able to work in the United States.
- You must agree to submit to a criminal background check.
- You must successfully complete in advance of arrival an annual medical exam that demonstrates minimum physical capabilities commensurate with the desired position. Please note that some positions have physical requirements, including weight limitations.
- You must have enthusiasm for working with youth; you must have sound judgment and decision-making skills plus be warm, caring and patient.
PLEASE NOTE: These are paid seasonal positions.
How to Apply for Seasonal Employment
- Complete the online application. It will take you approximately 10-15 minutes. Please note that it must be done in one sitting – you will not be able to start/save an application and finish it later. Be sure to provide a current email address and phone number where you may be contacted. You’ll be given the opportunity to select up to three positions.
- If desired, upload a resume. This is recommended, especially for management or supervisory positions.
- Be sure to provide the email address of someone who can provide an employment reference. An email will be sent to the individual asking them to complete an online reference for you.
(PLEASE NOTE: Returning staff members are not required to submit reference information.)
- International applicants (non-US citizens) MUST apply through the BSA’s International Department and through your country’s National Scout Organization. Details are provided in the link, above.
What to Expect Next
- Completed applications (with reference) will be reviewed by Summit management.
- Telephone interviews will be scheduled.
- Verbal employment offers will be made to selected candidates.
- Formal employment offers with required paperwork, including Criminal Background Check, will be emailed to selected candidates. (ALL seasonal staff, including returning staff, are required to undergo an annual CBC.)
- Completed employment forms must be submitted to The Summit in advance of your first day of employment and as soon as possible after employment acceptance.
*Please note that seasonal management and supervisory positions will be hired first; remaining positions will be subsequently filled.
Dates of Operation
Programs operate from early June through mid-August. Specifically:
High Adventure: 8 weeks of program, starting June 12 and running through August 6
Scout Camp: 5 weeks of program, starting June 19 and running through July 23
Training Center: 6 weeks of courses, starting June 19 and ending July 30
Special events: TBD, but includes 2nd Annual Veteran’s Recognition event on June 4th
Management staff members should expect to report in mid-May for training and planning. The last full working day for the majority of Leadership staff is August 8th.
General staff arrival dates are scheduled for May 24th, May 31st and June 7th for orientation and training. The last full working day for general staff is August 7th.
- $1145 – $1680+ /month (Depending on position and experience level),
- Room & Board provided (no rent or groceries!),
- Professional Certification Training ,
- Professional Discounts on hundreds of brands,
- Endless Activities,
- New River Gorge backyard playground with world famous rafting, rock climbing, mountain biking, and hiking.
- One of “America’s Coolest Small Towns” within minutes of the Site; Another within an hour’s drive,
- Develop life skills through leading, guiding and caring for participants,
- Create friendships to last a lifetime!
Apply for the Best Summer Ever!
Is this the summer you’re looking for? If so, we encourage you to apply; you might be just who we’re looking for!
Employment questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 304-465-2800.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The BSA is committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws that prohibit workplace discrimination and unlawful retaliation, such as those that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), gender, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, genetic information, citizenship status, protected activity (such as opposition to or reporting of prohibited discrimination or harassment), or any other status or classification protected by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws. This policy of equal employment opportunity applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including without limitation advertising, recruiting, hiring, training, evaluation, promotion, transfer, work assignments, compensation, benefits, disciplinary action, termination, or any other term, condition, or privilege of employment.
Professional Positions with the Boy Scouts of America
If, instead of Seasonal Employment opportunities, you are interested in exploring other employment opportunities with the Boy Scouts of America, please visit the BSA’s corporate job site at Scouting.org to view current availability.