James C. Justice National Scout Camp
Summer Camp at the Summit Bechtel Reserve
Activity Exploration, Advancement & Scouting Traditions
The Justice Scout Camp is a week-long resident camp for Scout troops and Venturing Crews looking who are looking for challenging advancement opportunities, activity exploration, and Scouting traditions. This program is intended to build upon and supplement unit and local resident camp experiences and includes merit badge/ranger elective classes, open activity time, training courses, and camp-wide events within the Walter Scott Scouting Valley at the Summit Bechtel Reserve.
This webpage is just a brief overview of information. For full details be sure to download read through the Leaders’ Guide and check out the schedules, packing lists & other documents on the sidebar (or near the bottom if you’re on a mobile device)!
Please note, the James C. Justice National Scout Camp is not a National High Adventure experience. It has a different focus and does not grant access to all of the venues or program elements used by High Adventure Experiences at the Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base.
June 12 – 18
June 19 – 25
June 26 – July 2
July 3 – 9
July 10 – 16
July 17 – 23
July 24 – 30
When it comes to advancement at the Justice Scout Camp, our focus is on quality rather than quantity. Each course is taught by a qualified, adult instructor trained in merit badge counseling. The over 40 merit badges we offer are carefully chosen to reflect the best experiential learning in areas that belong at camp. Some classes have prerequisites or additional fees. For a detailed listing of all merit badges, training classes and their prerequisites please see our Program Details & Prerequisites web-page.
The Justice Scout Camp offers over 40 merit badges, along with a wide variety of awards, trainings, and instruction in the following program areas:
Learn swimming, water rescues, kayaking, stand up paddleboarding, or test your ability on the water obstacle course at Goodrich Lake.
New Scouts can enroll in the Brownsea Island program to have a lot fun exploring the Justice Scout Camp’s various program venues, while also working on their rank advancement.
Develop your teamwork & communications skills through the obstacles at Project COPE or master your rope work and climbing at Boulder Cove
Explore natural world here in the New River Gorge and beyond through hikes, experiments, and plant/animal identification in and around our nature area.
Learn how to catch the big one fishing & fly-fishing at Cushman fish camp or around Goodrich Lake – East.
Learn about wildlife conservation and how to be a responsible hunter through orientations or a full-on Hunters’ Education course.
Explore and capture the world of music, photography, or moviemaking in an exciting outdoor setting with the guidance of professionals in their art form.
Master your Scoutcraft skills like pioneering, orienteering, and camping on Brownsea Island so that you can take your next unit campout to to the next level.
Site-in your shooting ability in one or all of your favorite disciplines: rifle, shotgun, or archery at our brand new ranges.
Fulfill your adrenaline needs on world class mountain bike trails, BMX trax or our skatepark
- Minimum of two adults and five youth
- Registered in Scouts, BSA; Venturing, BSA; or Exploring, BSA
- Completed BSA Annual Health & Medical Record.
- Completed Summit Risk Acknowledgment & Media Release
- Some activities & classes have height/weight, age, or rank requirements. See Program Details & Prerequisites and/or Leaders’ Guide for more info.
- One Week (6 Nights) Camping in the Justice Scout Camp
- Arrive Sunday, Depart Saturday
- Early Arrivals & Late Departures Available for Additional Fee
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner in the SBR Dining Hall
- Sunday Dinner through Saturday Breakfast
- All Campsite Equipment
- Tents w/ Bug Screens
- Fold-out Cots
- Dining Fly/Shade Shelter
- Picnic Tables
- Above Ground Fire Ring
- “Ambient Temperate” Shower house adjacent to campsite
- Flush Toilets
- Sinks w/ Mirrors
- Electrical Outlets
- Access to All Programs Listed in Program Details & Prerequisites Page
- All Program & Personal Protective Equipment (bikes, skateboards, life jackets, helmets, harnesses, etc)
- AT&T WIFI in sub camp and Summit Center Venues
- Adult Access to Adult Leader Lounge