THE SUMMIT BECHTEL RESERVE SEASONAL EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION
The Summit Bechtel Reserve Seasonal Employment Information
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2020 SEASONAL STAFF!!
The Summit Bechtel Reserve (SBR) is currently seeking seasonal staff to operate and support its 2020 summer programs. Positions are varied and include overall camp support in addition to specializations within each of our three main operational areas:
The Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base;
The James C. Justice National Scout Camp;
The John D. Tickle National Training & Leadership Center
Be a part of something big – we need your help to give our campers the best summer experience of their lives!
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
· The minimum age requirement for seasonal staff is 18. Some positions require a minimum age of 21.
· You must legally be able to work in the United States – every applicant who is offered a job will be required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) form and present the required documentation.
· You do not have to be a current member of the Boy Scouts of America to apply for an employment opportunity, however, if offered a position you will be required to become an adult member of the Boy Scouts of America.
· You must agree to submit to a criminal background check.
· Prior to your employment start date, you must obtain a medical exam by a certified and licensed physician (MD, DO), nurse practitioner, or physician assistant that demonstrates minimum physical capabilities commensurate with the desired position. These physical standards, including BMI and weight limitations, are consistent with the requirements we place on participants who register for programs at The Summit. Specifically, a body mass index (BMI) of 32 or less is required to participate in all the high-adventure activities at the Summit. Those with BMIs of 32 to 40 will require additional documentation from their physicians stating that they are fit to participate. Owing to the physical demands of the site and the nature of our programs, with rare exceptions, those with a BMI greater than 40 will not be selected to serve as a staff member. Those intending to work at the Summit should be aware that the average temperature from June through August is 60 to 80+ degrees and the humidity averages 70 to 75 percent. Also, the terrain at the Summit is very hilly and the layout requires considerable walking and effort. You will be required to present the BSA’s Annual Health and Medical Record form, completed and signed by this medical professional, with a validity date not to expire before your scheduled last day of work.
HOW TO APPLY FOR SEASONAL EMPLOYMENT
1. Complete the online application. Be sure to provide a current email address and phone number where you may be contacted. You’ll be given the opportunity to select up to three positions of interest.
2. If desired, upload a resume. This is recommended especially for management or supervisory positions.
3. Be sure to provide the email address of someone who can provide an employment reference. An email will be sent to the individual asking them to complete an online reference for you.
Applications will not be considered until a completed reference is received.
(PLEASE NOTE: Returning staff members from 2019 are not required to submit reference information).
Applicants for the International Camp Staff program (for all non-US citizens) MUST apply through the BSA’s International Department and through your country’s National Scout Organization (NSO).
PLEASE NOTE: These are paid seasonal positions.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT
· Completed applications (with reference) will be reviewed by Summit Management.
· Telephone interviews will be scheduled.
· Verbal/preliminary employment offers will be made to selected candidates.
· Beginning in January, formal employment offers with required paperwork, including Criminal Background Check authorization, will be forwarded to selected candidates.
(ALL seasonal staff, including returning staff, are required to undergo an annual CBC).
· Completed employment forms must be submitted to The Summit in advance of your first day of employment and as soon as possible after employment acceptance.
· Staff salaries start at $1,150/month and go up from there, depending on qualifications and responsibility. A small number of experienced top-level managers can make as much as $1,850/month,
· Room (Tent) & Board provided (sorry, no electricity in the tents just yet),
· Professional Certification Training,
· Professional Discounts on hundreds of brands,
· New River Gorge backyard playground with world famous rafting, rock climbing, mountain biking, & hiking,
· One of “America’s Coolest Small Towns” within minutes of the Site; another within an hour’s drive,
· Develop life skills through leading, guiding and caring for participants,
· Create friendships to last a lifetime!
APPLY FOR THE BEST SUMMER EVER!
Is this the summer you’re looking for? If so, we encourage you to apply; you might be just who we’re looking for!
Employment questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 304-465-2800.
The BSA is committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws that prohibit workplace discrimination and unlawful retaliation, such as those that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), gender, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, genetic information, citizenship status, protected activity (such as opposition to or reporting of prohibited discrimination or harassment), or any other status or classification protected by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws. This policy of equal employment opportunity applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including without limitation advertising, recruiting, hiring, training, evaluation, promotion, transfer, work assignments, compensation, benefits, disciplinary action, termination, or any other term, condition, or privilege of employment.
Professional Positions with the Boy Scouts of America
If, instead of Seasonal Employment opportunities, you are interested in exploring other employment opportunities with the Boy Scouts of America, please visit the BSA’s corporate job site at Scouting.org to view current availability.